Friday, September 25, 2009

The Way of Wayne Gretzky

I have never dared to discuss Sports in this Blog. With the nature of what I have always taken on Sports had nothing to really get your teeth into. Their narrow and focused subject matter has left little room for someone like me to think about – in a Blog.

I mean I deal with the light hearted side of things and then flip over to sometimes the really stupid things – and then mix in some politics for good measure – which at times provides fodder in both areas.

Well with Mr. Wayne Gretzky’s resignation from the Phoenix Coyotes Hockey Team it is impossible not to take note. The more that I have read and the more that has been said in different media forms – the more opportunity they give us.

I could say, “How sad…” – or – “How insane…” – or – “What’s wrong with the organization…?!!!”

My one son-in-law, who is connected closely to all things Hockey, simply will state that Gary Bettman, the Commissioner for the National Hockey League – is the problem. Plain and simple – everyone knows that.

Others have been emphatic that it is the Toronto Maple Leafs that is the problem with the possibilities of a sale of the Phoenix Coyotes. The Leafs are very territorial and would block the move of the Coyotes to Hamilton, Ontario – in every way that they can. (For those outside of Canada – this Sale has been an ongoing drama as a result of the fact that they are Bankrupt… and a whole lot of NHL folk have been messing with each other over this… it has been like watching a Family Feuding next door to where you live.)

First I must say that I DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE POLITICS OF SPORTS. They FIRE one coach in disgust – turf the dude – then make a big deal out of hiring an even ‘better coach’ that was fired in disgust from another team. Something smells funny with that one.

In Gretzky’s case they didn’t fire him – they simply stated that whoever buys the team finally – one of two at this point – neither potential owner wants to have him as Coach. Making that statement to the “Gentleman Wayne Gretzky” produced a Gentleman’s Response… and he quietly made his resignation known.

What an amazing person he is.

To top it off it is reported that Gretzky is one of the Creditors that is owed $22.5 Million… that would get his money if the Canadian Gazillionaire bought the Coyotes. If the opposing group gets their way and is able to lock out the Gazillionaire Jim Basillie Wayne will not get anywhere near that amount – maybe less than $1 Million – who knows.

Sheesh I have become an “Arm Chair Know It All” – or a “Coffee Shop Mogul” that can spew my Hockey Baloney to whoever will listen.

Now here is the scoop… are you ready?
The Great One, as Gretzky is known in Canada, blew it when he went south away from Canada’s cold. He took himself out of the running for Canada’s Employment Insurance – or as we lovingly know it… “E.I.”

Wayne Gretzky will not get one dime from the Canadian Government to start with. If he was here he would possibly get the maximum amount of $435 a week. And with the new rules that may come down soon – he could get it sooner than what has happened in the past. The Government almost fell over this issue… but his benefits would be somewhat better.

You think I am joking around… no way dude… Wayne won’t get a cent.

Now if he was here in our Great North he would also be offered some re-education programs… maybe go back and become a short order cook, train as a carpenter, or maybe a plumber… But not being here – he will get nothing.

It is Close to Home for Me…
Fifteen Months ago I went 'the Way of Wayne'. (That is one good thing that has come out of it – a new statement that describes what happened to us all… “We went ‘The Way of Wayne’…”)

Hey Wayne… I understand… It happened to me too… but I got the E.I. and the other stuff that they offered me. It was good – very good!

As I read the stories over and over again I had that sinking feeling that I had a year ago… unemployed and losing touch with my old world… enrolled and waiting for E.I. and whatever would happen for the next years to come.

But with Wayne entering this new role I feel better to have him in the waiting room with me.

I am not Bitter – I am Better…
Now because some of the folk that helped me make ‘my decision’ to vacate the Office that I was had given my life blood to – read this Blog too… I state it clear – leaving the tasks that I used to do – was the BEST THING THAT EVER HAPPENED TO ME!

For this reason I can advise Wayne – you will be a much happier man – very soon. You will not be Bitter – but Better – MUCH BETTER!

Wayne I saw the look on your face in the Photos that people snapped of you… you were sad… confused… frustrated… and wondering what the heck had gone down. As a coach you had done everything thing possible except maybe put on your skates and score the goals… and the team was still losing – every time.

Wayne I know that feeling – oh boy!

But you will be BETTER soon. There is life after MINISTRY – and HOCKEY. There is a big world waiting that will appreciate what you do.

One thing that you will already know Wayne… The Coyotes Hockey Team was not Wayne and Wayne was not the Team… management, staff and players are the Coyotes… and when you leave whatever will happen – will happen… and some one else will have to shoulder the stuff that takes place. I mean a Hockey Team where people don’t even know what Ice is all about – that is stupid – just plain stupid and it happened before you came along!

Wayne – that is why I can say you will be BETTER. It is not about you – it is about THEM… and they have to live with THEMSELVES… you can watch from the stands or even just read about it in the Newspaper.

The Way of Wayne Gretzky is great!

You go Boy.. go play with your kids… love your wife and get on with a life that will pay you Gazillions just to talk about it… Look a President Bill Clinton for Pete’s Sake… (but that is another story that is just too funny!)

~ Murray Lincoln ~
http://www.murraylincoln.com/

Source:
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2009/09/24/sp-hockey-gretzky.html?ref=rss
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2009/09/24/sp-gretzky-statement.html
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/article/700780
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyotes/articles/2009/09/25/20090925a1bickley0925-CP.html

No comments: