Wednesday, September 9, 2009

I DID - I DO - 42 BIG ONES


I remember most of it…. I remember arriving at the church with my friend Gord. We had spent the morning getting all dressed up for this special occasion. But it was oh so long ago…

We had laughed a lot… kidded each other… and tried to be serious… but at that moment the laughter was gone… I was quiet. Gord turned to me and said, “So you are sure that you want to really do this?!?” My reply was, “I have never been more serious… let’s go…”

Together we walked up the steps of the old Carmichael United Church on 15th Avenue in Regina, Saskatchewan to go through with what I was about promise.

The church was old smelling that day – we were young. The floors creaked. The minister was waiting for us. The Minister I knew well. Together we followed him to a side room where we waited and waited and waited – for what seemed to be forever! The Minister went to check to see if everyone was in place… and to see if the Bride had arrived yet… it seemed longer than forever for him to come back… but then he did.

He looked at me and asked, “Are you ready…?"

I kind of nodded. Words were not there. They kind of stuck in my throat. I was about to commit my life to another person – forever! I guess I was ready… I thought I was ready… I hoped I was ready… I really wished that I was ready… I tried to look ready… I … think… I … was …ready…

Together we walked out to the front of an adoring crowd of witnesses… made up of family and friends that were waiting for us to get it together… and just do it!

There was a sound toward the back of the church and everyone turned… and there she was… my Bride – Karen Alida Jones… Wow! I had known her and loved her for the past 5 years and 5 weeks… now “Jonesy” would become my wife.

She was walking beside her Uncle Neil Edwards holding his arm as he was about to give her away.

As they walked down the aisle that day she was beaming from ear to ear under her veil. There was a sparkle in her eyes as she came towards me. All the guests and people disappeared at that moment… it was just her and me. We were about to get married… do the final thing… WOW!

The Minister was some one special to both of us… Rev. Benjamin Kirkpatrick. We knew him as Ben. Ben had been in my life since I was born. He was 12 years old when I was born… one of my Mom’s brothers… who then became a Minister with the Apostolic Church of Pentecost (ACOP).

At that moment in time I was 23 years old and was standing beside my soon to be 21 year old Bride. The Minister was only 35 years old… wow – it was a long time ago… We were all young then.

Rev. Ben Kirkpatrick is likely reading this about now … at 77 years old and now looking at his hip replacement in a few weeks… and today his nephew is 65 – retired, senior citizen as well. Where did the time go?

Back to the special moment…
As we walked out of the sanctuary towards the front entrance of the church I remember the weight of Alida’s arm on mine. I could feel her warmth and the hug she gave me as we walked down the aisle as Mr. and Mrs. Murray and Alida Lincoln… now married and beaming from ear to ear!

Off to the Photography Studio – then back to the church… for the Lunch prepared for us…

The ceremony started at 10:30 AM. We had to be on a flight for Montreal by 1:00 PM. Yes I was always looking at my watch…

Now…
42 years later, two daughters Dana and Anda, two son-in-laws Bruce and Bill, and six wonderful Grandkids…. Clifford, Emma, Jonathan, Thomas, Michael, and Christopher.

These 42 years has covered a lot of ground… Regina for the ceremony, Trois Rivieres, Quebec for our first home together, then Fredericton, New Brunswick for our second home, then up to Oakville, Ontario, followed by Walkerton, Ontario, followed by Oakville again, followed by Hong Kong, then back to Oakville, then over to Scarborough, Ontario, then off to Yorkton, Saskatchewan, followed by Regina, Saskatchewan and finally to Peterborough, Ontario…

I DID and I STILL DO! Today is celebration day! I love you Alida… what more can I say!!!! Wahooo I am married… and have been for 42 years!

~ Murray Lincoln ~
http://www.murraylincoln.com/


No comments: