Sunday, September 27, 2009

The “Grandparent Supporter”

“Grandma, be sure to not throw out the Newspaper – it’s on your dinning room table. I am in it.” Emma, our granddaughter, was calling us on our Cell Phone as we traveled through Toronto on the highway. As my wife took the call she listened to our granddaughter’s happiness.

Later we did read it when we came home late.

There she was crunched down into her fearsome football blocking stance… one small arm extended to hold some one off and the other touching the ground by her left knee…helmet on, pink mouth guard in and staring at the camera. She certainly doesn’t look mean… but she can hold her own.

The text of the article is under “Austin Trophies Athlete of the Week” and reads… quote…
Emma Lindsay's second year in the Kinsmen Minor Football League couldn't have began in a better way.

Her junior Steelers team outscored the Stars 54-39 on opening weekend, while she split the up rights for three extra-point converts and six points.

"It felt really good since I didn't make any last year. My coaches showed me how to do it last year but I found a different way and practised it," says Lindsay, the only girl playing in the league this year.

The 10 year old also plays left guard and wears number 62.
"I mostly like kicking and blocking. I think I am good a good blocker because I am really strong," adds Lindsay.

As for being the only girl on the field every Saturday at Kenner, she likes it.

"It's pretty cool. The coaches tease me a little bit about it but it's fun like that," she adds.

The Edmison Heights Public School student's strong leg also helps her excel in soccer. She has been playing since she was five and captured two division championships with the her U7 and U8 teams respectfully, while playing in the Peterborough Youth Soccer League.

This year she made the jump to Peterborough City Soccer where she played defense on the U10 club, who she helped post three shutouts in three of their last six games.

Emma also likes to swim, skate and snowboard in her free time.
End quote ~

Now what more can a Grandpa say… my granddaughter is something else! What a kid! She really does do all that the article says.

I am a true Grandparent… I will do almost anything to get to their games… sit in the cold… endure the rain… shiver a lot… and scream loudly!... shouting suggestions from the sidelines like every grandparent should….

The last time I did shout out some encouragement for Emma I said, “Emma… get down lower on the ball… kick the bottom… you can do it… COME ON EMMA!!!”

She kicked the ball…it didn’t go up it went straight and missed the up rights on the goal post… Sheesh… she missed again!

Later after the game she came over to me and said, “Grandpa next time don’t yell or say anything when I am kicking the ball… it is embarrassing! You need to be quiet!”

Now just a minute – you are my Granddaughter… and Grandpas are suppose to yell and cheer and give instructions from the sidelines… that is why we come to the game… we are many years older and wiser and we used to play and kick and run and push and shove and tackle and grunt… we KNOW WHAT SHOULD HAPPEN!

I mean… I am GRANDPA and all these years as you grew up – I HAVE KNOWN WHAT IS BEST FOR YOU…

I know – I know… you don’t like the embarrassment when I get louder and louder…

But the next time one of those boys tries to hurt you…. or hits you tooooo hard… and you start to cry… I will be ON THE FIELD to get him!!!! and take him to his parents for a good talking to~!

Nobody better hurt my granddaughter! Did you get that BOYS!? She is the only girl on the team – leave her alone.

Last week one of her friends told her older brother about Emma playing football. He didn’t believe his sister. They came to the Football game – he wanted to see for himself. She brought her brother over to see Emma in her uniform. His expression was “WOW!”. In her full uniform she is a chunk of padding and rough looking. She seems to increase in size with all the padding and colour… and the helmet tops it off. No wonder the brother was impressed!

Now I hope he wasn’t looking at the cute girl behind the face mask and mouth guard… with the cute grin and the dimple. How did he say that, “WOW!”?

I have a strong feeling that Emma will knock ‘em dead in days to come. This kid is something else.

Last week on the school trip… she sat next to me on the ground as we were drawing the pencil sketches. We were talking and laughing at some of the things we saw around us… specially when the black bug walked across her paper.

Her friend looked at her drawing and said, “Wow Emma… that is good!” She told her friend that she got it from her grandpa… to which I smiled.

Now if I sound like I am bragging a little… well… you are correct in making that assumption. You bet I am.

Later today I will stand in a wet Baseball field bleacher and hoot loudly at another grandson who is coming to play baseball today. Under the umbrella I will shift from foot to foot… stamping to keep warm… and sipping my coffee…

I am an unusual breed… entitled the “Grandparent Supporter” who will just simply be there hot or cold… rain or shine… sleet of snow… because I know that my grand kids are great!

As I listened to another “Grandparent Supporter” last game… he was hooting just as loudly… and every time he did his wife looked at him and shook her head… I didn’t miss the connection… his grandson was playing on the other team opposing ours…!

When our team beat theirs I wanted to go over and ask him what he thought of the game… but his wife was giving him instruction to not say any more… as he followed her to their vehicle.

But just so he didn’t miss it… I yelled out again… “Great Game Steelers… GREAT GAME EMMA….” I saw the poor old fellow look back… and then turn back to his wife… wahoo!

Come on – don’t tell me you are proud of your grand kids too!

~ Murray Lincoln ~
www.murraylincoln.com

Source:
http://www.mykawartha.com/news/article/42103

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dad
The Kinsman Minor Football League has attached the article to their web-site now. They are all very proud of Emma being Athlete of the Week too. In fact, today (Saturday Oct 10) Emma was interviewed by Cogeco Cable and her discussion about girls in football will be part of a show they are putting together as part of the leagues 30th anniversary.
I expect it will be shown later in the season.
Bruce