Sunday, September 6, 2009

Dear Mark Brelsford....

Background for my letter to Mark…
In 1968 Mark and Roni Brelsford left their home in England to begin their new adventure in Canada. Eventually they settled in the Kinmount area of Ontario.

Mark was a Chemical Engineer. And Mark of was a lover of wood – working with wood in many ways.

In 2003 at the age of 63 years, Mark passed away.

I never knew Mark – but yet… now I have come to know him well. I came to know him through his tools.

At the Kinmount Fair, that is held every Labour Day weekend, I have joined a group of “Pioneers” that faithfully come each year to show their abilities and the crafts of our forefathers.

Through a unique happenchance I met up with Roni who is one of the volunteers. She told me that her husband had once been involved working with the antique tools at the Fair. She encouraged me to come along and get involved.

So each day we have driven one hour and half each way to join them.

I began my involvement last Friday. Today will be my third day. Now I know Mark as well.

I am going to let you read my letter to Mark to help you understand how we met.

~ Murray Lincoln ~
www.murraylincoln.com/

My letter to Mark Brelsford…

Sunday, September 6, 2009
Peterborough, Ontario

Dear Mark Brelsford,

We haven’t met yet Mark. I am the guy that is now involved in that special corner in the Pioneer Exhibit at the Kinmount Fair. I have been using all of the tools that you and others collected over the years then mounted for display so carefully.

Being there is kind of like standing on “holy ground” for me. I simply knew when I stepped into the corner I felt like I had been there before… yet that is impossible.

Just after I stepped into that special corner I went looking for Roni, that special lady that made the contact with me last month.

I don’t need to tell you how special she is – simply because you loved her so much. In fact my involvement in this weekend is really part of a love story that is still going on. I feel honored to be this close to see it happen.

Mark, I began the weekend by setting up a table that one of the guys provided for us. I think he was a friend of yours and helped you often as well. When he met me he did everything possible to help me make our presentation a success. He is an amazing guy to say the least.

It was on that first day that I discovered the first wood plane. It is small, big enough to do a good job on small areas, yet small enough to fit your two hands easily. It is the one that was darker in colour – likely from being used so much over the years. It had the cow horn like front handle – instead of the traditional Canadian style knob.

Then right beside the smaller wood plane was its big brother, and their two cousins. Four planes in all were lying beside each other on that back shelf near the window.

One of the larger “cousin planes” had a sticker on the bottom that simply said “Roni” – and gave a date.

I know that you may have gasped just a little with that last bit of information now being known – but it is okay. I will explain.

Yesterday I set up the display in such a way to show off some of the tools the way that Pioneers once used them.

First - I chose two of the Brace and Bit handles from the back wall. One is a little more modern – perhaps about 80 years old and the other one is that carved Brace and Bit with the finely polished handle and the delicately carved side sections. It is at least one hundred to one hundred fifty years old – is my guess.

Next I chose that huge old wooden mallet that must weigh a good 8 to 10 pounds. Even for me as a wood carver it strains my arm to do much with it. After working with it for a little bit you get a feeling of a forearm work out. I wanted the “passer buy” to sense what the muscle power is all about of long ago.

I had brought along two of my own mallets from my workshop along with some chisels to use.

Lastly I chose three of the “cousin planes”.

On the made up work bench that was offered for me to use I fastened some plain pine boards. One was for drilling – using the Brace and Bit, the second one was for chiseling – making practice mortise holes for the Mortise and Tenon joinery, the third was held on its side to allow the planes a surface to be used on.

Then the crowds started to come – and did they ever come! It was a little like standing by a solidly moving river of humanity. But they never went by quickly – they stopped for a long time and talked to me about everything in that corner.

I must admit that some of things were new to me too. Sometimes I had to say I wasn’t sure. Within minutes however another old man would come by and give me the answer to the previous question. What a learning experience that was!

Mark, the part that might most interest you was the kids. I think that was the best part of the whole time I have in being there… hundreds and hundreds of kids that came by to ask me the questions – and they all asked the same thing, “Can I try it?” – “Can I be next?”

As the kids tried the tools I pointed out special features of each tool and what they were used for – and how important they were.

Mark… it was during one of those moments of explaining that I first saw the uniqueness of the wood planes – and then I looked much, much closer. I saw that all the planes had the similar markings – with the corners all being carved and smoothed the same way… then there was that special beading that was inscribed down the length of the plane’s body… then I really saw the cow horn handle for the first time.

When the crowd abated somewhat I held the larger plane up to the light streaming through the window. It was at that moment I saw the special stamp on the heel of the plane… with the German words and the special marks. Both the small plane and the larger plane had the marks.

These planes are really old. They are of very high quality – a real treasure in their day. My guess was at that time that they are likely over one hundred to one hundred and fifty years old.

After the kids each tried the planes I explained the possibilities of their age and the fact that some craftsman a long time ago had used these planes to make some very special furniture in his shop.

The look in their eyes as they heard what I said was very special. They stared at me intently… then they slowly looked down at the plane that they were holding with deep appreciation. It was kind of like watching some one hold a huge bar of gold – “WOW…” Then their brother or sister would ask – “Can I hold it…”

Mark, the plane is a treasure… and very special… but I never knew until the end of the day just how special all four of these planes were. And I didn’t know how special all of the finishing planes were that were on the next shelves down too… They all are treasures… worth millions upon millions of accounts and historical value…

At the end of the day I called Roni over to ask her a question about the planes and the fact that they had her name on the bottom.

She smiled and told me that these planes were yours. They were the ones that you had insisted on bringing with you from Britain in 1968 – even though you were only allowed so much weight – you brought the planes because they were worth so much to you.

She told me how you had purchased them and had treasured them. I know now what you saw in them and how important they were to you.

When I pointed out to Roni the way the small plane has that piece of Rose Wood carefully fastened to it with the special dove tail joinery(I know that isn’t the right term – but it is the only way that I know how to say it now..) – even she was amazed and said… “I didn’t know this…” But she did tell me the way they came to Canada with you folks and her reaction to your determination to bring them with you.

And Mark, the other finishing planes that were on the next shelves down… they were part of Roni’s family heirlooms as well… they had been used to work on the House of Parliament in England. WOW! Go figure they ended up all the way up in an almost remote area of Ontario, Canada – on the Kinmount Fair ground!

But Mark, I want to tell you… the people and particularly the kids… will never be the same again – after they had this experience this weekend.

This was not a simple summer Fair experience – it was perhaps life changing for each of them… just the way it was when you talked to each of the kids that you met over all the years that you did the same thing I am doing now.

Mark, though we have never met, I want you to know that I have caught your vision to touch the lives of these special people – and make a difference.

And Mark… hang on to this one… remember that old Pole Lathe that you created… and worked so well each year… we pulled it out last night… set it up and today I am going to operate it showing a whole new world what Mark Brelsford believed in. I tried it out last night and it still works just the same way that it did when you used it.

One more thing Mark… I kind of think that you already know what I have been doing in that special corner of the Pioneer Exhibit…

When I was talking to that one young boy he was looking intently at the small plane as he held it is his hands… I said to him…. “You know I think that the man who once owned this plane is probably smiling now as you have tried this on the wood. He is happy that you now know about it and what it can do… ”

You were there Mark… I nearly cried when the boy replied… “Wow that is so cool… thank you.”

Thanks Mark…

Your Friend,
Murray Lincoln

* * * * * * * * * * *
http://www.murraylincoln.com/

No comments: