Monday, August 3, 2009

“Wendy’s Adieu"

As we walked into the Wendy’s Fast Food Restaurant Emma asked me a question. Her words were, “Grandpa why are there so many Old People in here?”

It was lunch time and familiar spots were filled with many older couples munching down their Burgers and French Fries – all of it not on their cholesterol strict diets. None of us old guys should eat this junk food.

She was right. The majority of the seats were filled with old geezers and their somewhat younger dates. There was a few walkers to add that quaint feeling of a senior’s home… or at least or people that would soon be in a Seniors Home.

Over the past 5 plus years I had been responsible for getting many to this restaurant. I had told them about the great deal of getting a Senior’s Discount. They were the only restaurant in the city that gives the 10% discount for old geezers and their somewhat younger dates (OG and their SYD).

With their fixed income it was a place where the OGs and their SYD could get a break.

The food at Wendy’s is not cheaper than other restaurants… nor is it better. It is just as mushy and slippery to get from the foil wrap to your mouth – as any other place. I noticed many OG and often their SYD would mess their shirt or blouse up as the goo slides from the package.

Across the road the McDonalds is packed with more seniors at Breakfast… FREE COFFEE! The food packages are better and somewhat cheaper. And the attraction is better for your grandkids when they are younger – a place to play is offered as well as there is the Old Fashioned – Kid’s Meal.

Wendy’s just offers a “Pre-Retirement Home” feeling. And your Granddaughter asks, “Grandpa, why is there so many old people in here?”

Well – as of Yesterday – Sunday – August 2, 2009 – it is “Wendy’s Adieu!” Farewell… So Long… It has been good to know you…

I was informed by the young whipper snapper at the counter that OG and their SYD do not get a Senior’s Discount any longer. The one last good thing that Wendy’s had to offer is now gone. NO MORE 10% OFF. The good times are gone.

When the youngster tried to explain that she was surprised too – she said, “I was off for a few days and came back today to find out that the Senior’s Discount is gone. But if it makes you feel any better… so is the Student Discount. They dropped that too.”

I shook my head and said slowly… “No that doesn’t make me feel any better. This will likely be the last time I come in here. You will be losing all the Senior Traffic I am afraid. We are goners.”

She chirped… “We still give free coffee refills…”

Duh – why would I want a ‘free coffee refill’ if I am drinking a Coke?

So Wendy Dear Wendy – we are parting company as of August 2, 2009. It is over.

It is kind of sad. I am now passing another Mile Stone Marker in my life. Something that I enjoyed – the getting of a discount – is now gone. I move on.

It will be sad not seeing the other OG and their SYD. But I think that they will be moving on too. The OG – and specially their SYD are the best Bargain Hunters in the World – bar none!

A few years ago in 2002 Dave Thomas died at 69 years old. Dave had a great story of how he wanted to serve the public. His 800 plus commercials were great and everyone knew him. Dave was the Daddy of Wendy’s.

He started the restaurant was started in 1969 – around the same time that many of us OG and SYD were married. He named it after his 8 year old daughter. She was ‘Melinda Lou’ and her nick name was “Wendy”.

Many of us OG and SYD can identify with Dave… in more than one way.

This morning early I found the reason for no more Senior Discounts. The quote is as follows…
“On April 24, 2008, the company announced a merger with Triarc, the parent company of Arby's.”

Just like many of our own(the OG and their SYD) working careers – bigger companies bought it out and have are now run by Younger Stupid People – that is YSP – or maybe I should say… Younger Silly People – which is still YSP. YSP don’t really give a Ding Dong about OG and SYD. They are a nuisance and they hang around entirely too long.

YSP all have grandkids that they drop off with their OG and SYD – when they have to do their stuff.

Yesterday I was going to tell the young whipper snapper at that the counter that Arby’s makes a better burger… GLAD I didn’t say it. Because his come back would have been – “Gotcha – we own it too! And they(we) don’t give OG and their SYD senior discounts either!!!”

So my lovely little Wendy’s Fast Food and Cholesterol raising joint – Adieu! And I will be telling my OG and SYD friends that we are goners too.

My SYD and I have found a great Pita wrap place downtown that makes some amazing Pit things that are filled to capacity with all kinds of great stuff… all of it on my Cholesterol Lowering Plan. One of these Pita Wraps was all that we could eat!

And guess what for half of what we spend at Wendy’s we can eat there. Now that is a 50% discount.

It is a take out place though. You have to grab it and run.

But standing in line with the young hip people YHP – that could be children of the SYP – you feel young again.

The guy that made up our absolutely delicious Pita Wrap made me feel like I wanted to come back. He treated me like I was important – not an OG with a SYD.

You know something – I have discovered that I am getting older. This is definitely a new twist in retirement – when I can tell a restaurant what I think… and feel empowered and good about it!!!!

YES! Wendy’s Adieu!!!

Special Note:
On Wendy’s Web Site – the small print reads as follows…
“At Wendy's®, we're unrivaled in our passion for giving people what they want — and uncompromising in giving people what they deserve.”


Baloney! Too funny!

~ Murray Lincoln ~
http://www.murraylincoln.com/

Source:
About Wendy’s
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendy%27s

About Dave Thomas
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Thomas_(American_businessman)

No comments: