Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Under Over – Over Under, Tatting Crazy

I must have said it a million times so far. I have taught about 800 people how to do Tatting… and each one has heard my words over and over again… “Under Over- Over Under… Under Over- Over Under…
Under Over- Over Under… Under Over- Over Under…”

One of the times that this became very important was in about 1983. We were living in Hong Kong and I was teaching many different kinds of Crafts – tatting was one of the crafts.

Our Canadian Friends Janet and Henry lived in Macau – a small island country that snuggles up to the coast of China. It is about 6 square miles and has about 750,000 people living in those tightly packed square miles.

Our friends came across on the high speed boats to Hong Kong for business and a time away from the work they were doing there.

On this particular day Janet and Henry were in our home for a meal and also for Janet to be able to pick up the craft of tatting. I was the teacher – she was the student. Her intention was to be able to enjoy this craft on her own and perhaps teach some one else how to do it.

Janet and I sat at the dinning room table and after some initial instruction she began with to try to get the rhythm down in making the double knot that is the core of Tatting. My words were Under Over- Over Under… Under Over- Over Under… Under Over- Over Under…

Henry was reading the magazines that we had in our apartment. He was totally disconnected from Janet’s world and mine. There could not have been anyone more disinterested in what we were doing than he was at that moment. However Henry knew how important this was to his wife and he waited for her to finish her first lesson.

Later they boarded the vessel to take them back across the water to their home.

Normal events happened when they arrived home and it wasn’t until two days had gone by that Janet picked up her shuttle and tried the Tatting again. Something had happened on her trip home and the waiting in between… she forgot what we had talked about and couldn’t get the tatting to work.

Janet was beside herself. She was about two hours away from where we lived and it would not be until next month that they might return. What would she do?

Henry sensed her frustration and then told her to pick up the shuttle and try again. She protested… but he insisted… and then said.. “This is what Murray said… Under Over- Over Under… Under Over- Over Under… Under Over- Over Under……”

Then he quoted some of the rest that I had said… Even though he was sitting in the corner reading he was listening. He had memorized what I had said and then taught his wife what to do the next week.

This to me was my most unusual Tatting Student(s) – two people learned from one lesson.

I know Janet learned to Tat well. She presented me with a beautiful doily that she made for my big book.

(On the side… I ask each student to Tat me a piece so I can put it in my big book with their name beside it.)

This Fall, as I mentioned in the Last Posting – I will begin classes again. Interest from this demonstration at Lang Village last weekend has grown and more will be joining me in the Tatting Experience. I am excited to pass on what Great Grandpa Phillips passed on to his kids and many others through them…

Isn’t that what life should be about… the older ones that have these treasures – being willing to pass on what they know… before it is too late.

Hey – have a great day. I am off to Teach an Art Class – yesterday – today and tomorrow… Way too much fun being retired…. LOVING IT!

Be sure to look at the videos referred to below…
~ Murray Lincoln ~http://www.murraylincoln.com/Source:Tatting
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOimfd-bRdg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_JGTCju4G8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELbqfybMqVU

http://www.langpioneervillage.ca/http://www.langpioneervillage.ca/specialevents.php?page=specialevents

No comments: