Wednesday, August 26, 2009

KISS UP

This is Gene Simmons...
This is Gene Simmons - too...
Again - For my ultra religious friends this will make no sense at all. Oshawa has been KISSed. Even more funny today. Gene Simmons and his band decided that Oshawa is big enough – they dumped Toronto – or maybe play it at another time.

If you read yesterday’s post….Last year an OnLine promotion gimmick took place to rouse the world of Old Rockers. The city that responded the best would have KISS come to play for them – actually do a concert for your city! People went wild.

But in the world of music there is no place that was more excited than Oshawa, Ontario.

I watched the news last night and the most faithful fan was tearing the KISSer off of Gene Simmons that was on his VAN. Now that is radical – when a loyal fan decides on separation!

Well – all is well in Oshawa now – KISS is coming on October 7, 2009. The world is saved. All is peaceful in GM country again… and it will be noisy on October 7.

A report in the STAR today by Dan Robson states…quote..
Shout it, shout it, shout it out loud – Oshawa will get its KISS concert after all.

Band manager Doc McGhee announced last night that KISS will be playing Oshawa's GM Centre on Oct. 7. "After the outpouring of emotion we saw today, there was no way we could follow our original plan and make you wait until a later tour leg," McGhee said. "You'll now be getting a special record release show. Oshawa, we promise a good time."
End quote

In the Dan Robson article today he points to a city councilman and also the mayor – guys that perhaps have saved the day for Osahwa. KISS actually called the Mayors Office to tell them they were coming.

Show me another city where a potential Rock Group calls the city to let them know that they are coming… and the city is relieved.

Real Life…
I have sat through meetings and watched people make some strange decisions. They were convinced that the choice they were making was that of a “Savior” to the difficulties they were caught in.

Now there is nothing wrong with a Savior (I believe in one as a Christian) – but there is something wrong with some of the pictures that appear in my world. If the Savior is not what he promotes himself to be… well?

And I know that the Oshawa/KISS Adventure is one of the best publicity stunts ever. Gene Simmons is a master at what he does… have you ever watched the reality show with him featured in all his finery – real life – no paint. He is a master!

But so is the man(or woman) that has done a great resume. They look like they could walk on water. In reality they can’t get out of the boat.

In the world of the church I have read resumes many times. I served as a minister and at times looked for people to assist me. My goodness you should see what some promised they could do for me.

In the world of leadership I have taken part in selecting other leaders for really important positions. In one setting a new person to the table turned to me and asked, “How do I know which resume is better than the others?”

I replied, “Just think of it this way… these folk that wrote this use words all the time… and the better it sounds… means that they write a good resume.” She looked at me in a weird way.

I don’t always believe what I read… or hear.

And the hardest part is that I am not prepared to be one of those people that promise big – and deliver little.

Dr. Laurence Peter in his Peter Principles stated a powerful fact…"In a Hierarchy Every Employee Tends to Rise to His Level of Incompetence."

Oddly enough today I have to make another BIG decision. Actually that isn’t quite right… I already made it. I am not going to do something. (TaDa – my wife will be pleasantly surprised with that one)

I have run out of time with life now… an extra step up… simply means more work that might not get done. My favorite Peter Principle will become a part of my life… and I could show how incompetent I really am if I said “yes”.

And with nothing at all to do with what is written above I conclude with a “Peter thought”…
“Peter pointed out that a class or caste (social stratification) system is more efficient at avoiding incompetence. Lower-level competent workers will not be promoted above their level of competence as the higher jobs are reserved for members of a higher class. "The prospect of starting near the top of the pyramid will attract to the hierarchy a group of brilliant [higher class] employees who would never have come there at all if they had been forced to start at the bottom". Thus the hierarchies "are more efficient than those of a classless or equalitarian society".

~ Murray Lincoln ~
www.murraylincoln.com/

Source:
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/686553
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Principle

No comments: