Sunday, August 23, 2009

Dr. Bruce Lindsay – Embalming Surgeon

Sixteen years ago I stood with my friend Pastor Doug Lindsay and together we married our kids to each other. My daughter married his son. WOW! What a time it has been. Now two grandkids later we are watching the family grow and the kids develop into what they will be some day. What a journey it has been!

When my daughter met Bruce he had just finished his University studies and was on his way to a Career in the Banking Industry.

Imagine a Banker – and all that money that could be available through a capable Branch Manager some day… or maybe Bruce would end up as a powerful CEO of the largest Bank in the World.

Every father-in-law has great aspirations for his child’s spouse – just like his own kids. I mean if they don’t marry well… and marry big… and perhaps even dare I say this – RICH… I may not get a second chance at it all.

The basis of it all is that with two daughters, who are the nurturing type, my wife and I will likely be looked after when we get old… that is either one of us – after the one of us dies. I mean what do you have to count on except family?

Now knowing this factor at a younger age – I tried to groom my daughters into a right relationship as they grew up.

I read them stories of Prince Charming. I read them stories of Cinderella and her Prince of the Ball… In fact over the years I chose the stories that described poor little girls that were rescued by handsome young men – that live in castles and owned their worlds. Naturally it was assumed that some day when they married they would chose a really cool guy that would allow the Queen and King, Mother and Father, of the Princess, to move in with her when the time came to do so.

I mean loving Princes that find poor maidens in distress, marry them and treat them like royalty… along with their families. Isn’t that the way that you read it?

Well it didn’t quite work that way. The possibility RICH banker that entered my daughter’s life would transformed to become a Funeral Director. And in this picture he would take care of millionaires and poor people. Certainly he shows great care and respect.

Well – something else happened. Every once in a while this son-in-law of mine kind of changes. The transformation is amazing really. Simply by walking from one room to the next he went from the present Funeral Director to one of becoming a Surgeon. AND not just any Surgeon – he is an “Embalming Surgeon”. With that few short steps he walked he walked into the period between 1840 to 1880 – or so.

It happened today with our visit to the Comstock Funeral Home where Bruce works his trade so well. We were invited to attend a special day for family members and relatives. The day was planned to let the children and any one else that came to see what dad or mom does for a living.

In the chapel area Bruce and my daughter Dana were sitting just in front of me as the first presentation was made. The second presentation was to be just next door. As we stood to walk into the next room… Bruce led the way.

There he was, dressed in his long black coat and his tall black hat. He welcomed us to the talk and began to share his many stories and his vast knowledge of the past

Behind Bruce lay the long basket that was used to transport the Body from the place of death to their home where the funeral wake would take place. There at home on top of a “cooling table” the body would be preserved – or readied for the wake and visitation of friends and relatives that would come to console the family.

Embalming didn’t begin until around the 1840s. Then it progressed to the point to grow more common as the days of the Civil War in the USA took place.

Before Embalming methods were incorporated, methods were used to cool the Body of the loved one to slow decomposition. Bruce described what the cooling box looked like where the body was placed in ice. Then shortly before the time it was needed to be “on show” – it was removed and prepared with the clothing that was used.

It wasn’t until the days of the Civil War and Abraham Lincoln’s Presidency that Embalming would become a major new community possibility. Methods were developed to make it possible for the Body not to begin decaying for at least four days (or more).

Bruce told how Abe Lincoln’s son died as a result of an accident. The body of the President’s Child was then embalmed and taken home to Springfield to be buried. Stops of the train carrying his body were made along the way… and people approached the mourning car to view the child. “It was as if he had only fallen asleep” the newspaper of the day stated.

As Dr. Bruce Lindsay shared his knowledge that had been gleaned over many years of study if was amazing to listen to.

I didn’t get a Banker… nor a Funeral Director for a son-in-law – I got an amazing guy that loves his life and work. There in front of his colleagues he described the roots of what they all do. When he finished speaking we all were moved by this information.

I say with this post today – Dr. Bruce Lindsay, Embalming Surgeon, you are amazing. I am proud of you son.

I know that I may not get a crack at seeing the executive suite of the Banking Mogul… nor will I get to be there with a Prince Charming allowing me into his domain to live…

BUT WHEN I DIE… I will look good to say the least. I know that whatever happens at my end – it will be done well. And that will happen because I am “Dad”. That is so cool.

Most guys my age won’t even discuss what might happen to them when and if they die. I can brag about my final day… final week and know that it is/will be all true.

I think this is so cool. Thanks Bruce for a great day and wonderful presentation!

~ Murray Lincoln ~
www.murraylincoln.com/
PS – the photos are not the best quality because I snapped them on my rinky dinky cell phone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dad
I may not be the Prince Charming of the stories, but still, Dana has been living happily ever after!
(Ha)
Bruce