Thursday, July 23, 2009

Extremely Hot Spots

As a boy I remember walking on the creaking sidewalks and then peering down into the teal blue water. I wondered where it came from. What made it so hot? As the steam rose from the caldron below our feet – it was amazing.

At another part of the Yellowstone Park you could see the geysers blow their tops. Old Faithful was one of the geysers that worked like clock work blowing a huge plume of hot steaming water into the air at exactly the same time.

But after reading the information supplied in the article of National Geographic Magazine – I am not sure that I want to stand over these hot spots again.

The artist’s concept of the happenings below the surface of Yellowstone is disturbing to say the least. You can see that above in the illustration. The artist has shown the cut away of the land south of Yellowstone as if some one has removed the large piece of pie – and you can see into the remainder of the whole pie.

The fact is that the surface of the earth that Yellowstone Park rest on is only a thin crust or land – maybe one to five miles thick at some places.

When you walk on the surface almost any place in the Park you have the sense that something big is happening just below your feet. When a geyser blows its water contents up into the air you can feel the ground rumble below your feet before it takes place.

The fear that exists now is that Yellowstone National Park could disappear in a few days if a super volcano blast took place – where the entire area could go poof up into the air – then collapse back into the massive hole that would be created.

The article link is shown below in the “Source”. You need to read it. It is quite amazing to say the least.

As I read the words in the article I started to think about the frailness of the planet that we live on. It is truly amazing that we survive as we travel over such a frail body. Frail… with its thin layer of dirt and rock covering a gigantic molten mass – the inner core of the earth.

BTW – you cannot dig through to China – or wherever – you would melt after a few hundred miles down… if you could make it that far. At the crust over the Yellowstone area – you would not need to go that far – 5 miles would have you a goner.

What a creation we live on. Our creation – the living things above the crust are amazing all alone… but then what is below us is simply stunning.

I am not sure what will happen later in my ‘after life’. I am sure where I want to go… but not sure what will take place. I am hoping for a large video room – say – about as high is the blue sky is now. Then I pick up the remote and select the video on “Creation” – push the button and “WOW!” would you look at that! The entire building process will unfold in front of me.

Oh I know that I have watched a bundle of TV in my 65 years of living. I think I saw the first one with Elvis Presley on the Ed Sullivan Show – Sunday night when I was about 12 years old – 53 years ago. But that has influenced the imagination for sure… I want to see the epic showing of CREATION… Thanks God… that will be enough for my eternity.

Today it is a rainy day in my world. Early this morning I heard the soft rain drops hitting our deck. The grass is happy. What is left of the old tree is smiling. There is a balance to my life now. But who knows what will happen next. I seem to live on a crust as well. I need not be in Yellowstone Park to think about eruptions – it can happen here and now.

But for today there is balance.

One the side….
I am saddened about the riot/disturbance yesterday at Warkworth Institution. One man is dead – perhaps from a drug overdose. Others are in the hospital the news person has reported.

The man that died was some one’s son. The others that are in the hospital are family members some where. Families have to be fearful today. I feel for them.

Today the prison is settled down a friend told me. But for days to come there will be many questions as to why it happened.

Pray for the staff and leaders in the Institution. They need help to today to make sense of a turbulent world.
~ Murray Lincoln ~
http://www.murraylincoln.com/

Source:
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2009/08/yellowstone/achenbach-text

No comments: