Wednesday, April 8, 2009

High Paid TV Preachers

In an era of cut backs and down turns in the economy it is quite normal for people to discuss salaries that others make. In the world of the automobile we see the CEO salaries blasted far and wide… and the pay outs are considered by the ordinary person to be almost criminal.

There can be no greater slam for an unemployed person than the announcement of an obscene salary.

Last weekend I enjoyed a day in Coboconk as we attended the service in the small church. We sat in on a very active discussion among adults. The subject was the salaries of TV Evangelists/TV Personalities in the Religious World. Talk about a hot one. I heard things that I had never heard before. I saw how some people react both for and against the very rich TV People.

One of the people that was pointed at was Joel Osteen. He makes a lot of money according to the folk in Coboconk and what I have found on the Internet… but he makes it through the sale of his books – stating in 2005 that he hopes he would never have to receive another pay from the church. At that time he had given up his $200,000 a year job at the church. Someone said he now gets over $500,000 a year. WOW!

In an article written in 2003 it is stated that John Hagee, another TV personality…
"Taken together, his payment package, $842,005 in compensation and $414,485 in benefits, was one of the highest, if not the highest, pay package for a nonprofit director in the San Antonio area in 2001."

How could one man be worth that much? Celebrity status I am sure. Check out the Ministry Watch Report listed below… it will stagger your mind the numbers that are shown up to 2004.

Some one in the debate that I sat in on stated that the man works over 70 to 80 hours per week.

I pointed out that I also worked that and more – but couldn’t get a Board to agree that I was worth that much.

John Hagee has 3 board members… and each receive some compensation…
Compensation of Officers, Directors
$473,000(2004) $565,000(2003) $41,000(2002) $ 58,000(2001) $41,000 (2000)

Other Salaries, Wages $1,216,000(2004) $2,159,000(2003) $2,589,000(2002) $2,139,000(2001) $2,718,000 (2000)

The thing that bothered me as a pastor – the most... was when I went to visit a dear old saint on the church – and there in the middle of the table was the latest “product” that the TV personalities were selling for a “donation”. Knowing that the TV Person made unbelievable amounts of money and the little lady locally giving it – had hardly anything… worse yet neither did her church…bothered me greatly.

And the pastor that was expected to visit – also was not paid the way that Hagee or Osteen are.

I am sure it sounds like sour grapes on my part to bring this up. Sorry if it bothers you. But I am so glad that I sat in that discussion last week about the TV personalities and their pay. What an eye opener to say the least.

I spoke to the young man after that had led the discussion… his comment… “ I have nothing to lose… and our people need to hear about what is happening.” Thank you Mark for being honest.

But – I am about to launch a book too… I hope someday…maybe… and I will be telling it like it really is… maybe… for sure… I think… possibly… then I will be loaded too. Then maybe the $500,000 a year will be mine too… maybe… possibly… do you think?

~ Murray Lincoln ~
www.murraylincoln.com

Sources:
Joel Osteen: Life is good
http://www.rickross.com/reference/tv_preachers/tv_preachers36.html
Joel Osteen on Larry King Live – Tuesday PM
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/04/08/lkl.osteens/index.html
Critics say John Hagee's compensation is too high
http://www.rickross.com/reference/tv_preachers/tv_preachers7.html

Ministry Watch about John Hagee
http://www.ministrywatch.com/profile/John-Hagee-Ministries.aspx

No comments: