Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Day That My World Changed

My hands shook a little and I had a lump in my throat as I stared at the three small receipts in my hand. I have no idea when these simple bits of paper were placed in the old file. I had put them there a long time ago for some reason and then forgot about them.

There in front of me was the receipts dated May 26, 1967, June 16, 1967 and August 8, 1967. It wasn’t the date that mattered so much it was what the receipt was for… Here is what they look like…

Some time in March 1967 – I walked into a local Jeweler in Regina and picked out an engagement ring that I thought was beautiful. It sparkled and shone like the Sun. It was perfect and it was big enough that it would shine everywhere for a long time. It represented everything that I thought about this beautiful girl I had dated for five years. I was about to propose to Alida asking her to marry me.

As I left that day I had charged the ring at the store and they were getting it ready with the sizing that I guessed at. In a week’s time I could pick it up.

I had spent three week’s salary on this ring and committed myself for a life time. I had also bought one for myself on condition that she would say yes….

What if she said no? What if she was not ready? I was and I also was going to leave Regina shortly for Toronto… and maybe this wouldn’t happen????? I had placed $20 down on the wedding rings and had agreed to pay $12 a month until it was paid off.

Well she said a GREAT BIG YES that next week and glowed as she put it on her finger. I nearly did cart wheels as I left her home that day. I had kept a secret for a month – nobody but myself knew what I was about to do. It was the biggest step I had ever taken on my own.

It cost $1.68 to get the engraving done on the inside of each ring – that was June 16, 1967. Then on August 8, 1967 we bought the Marriage License for $5.00.

Gulp…there is that lump again…

There was more in the File that I discovered. There were two airplane tickets – seen below. One ticket was for $172 for M. R. Lincoln to fly from Montreal to Regina – return – leaving September 7th and returning the September 9th to Montreal. The second ticket was for “Mrs. M. R. Lincoln” one way from Regina to Montreal on September 9th… the day that my new bride joined me.

So why do I share this intimate moment in my life?

Well maybe I need to tell a crazy world that is upside down with its relationships – that true love really does exist. Maybe I think that some of the younger couples that need encouragement will see the difference and start acting in a different way than the way they act now?

Some of what I watch happening now is just plain NUTS. Sorry there is no other way to put it. Some are in a so called “Christian Relationship”… and it is anything but that.

When I walked into to the buy the ring that day I was not walking, acting or thinking like a “Christian”….but I can say that I was more “Christian” than some I see today with my commitment.

Okay…Okay… I am riding a hobby horse… I know. But when you talk “God Talk” and don’t walk what you talk – that is nuts.

Where is the relationship that began so wonderfully? What has caused you to move away from where you were? What did you do to move from there?

As I hold these simple receipts I remember what it meant back then. I tremble because I still think the same after 42 years. And if I can do anything – I will try my best to tell some of the couples – or maybe one of the people in a couple relationship… that you need to come back to some basics… you really do!!!

For now – I give Alida a BIG HUG as she has stood so faithfully beside me so many years. When she said that GREAT BIG YES – she meant it. When I struggled with the two weeks before and the two weeks afterwards and then popped the question – I REALLY MEANT IT.

That has made the difference for these many years – and I now THANK GOD for all that has happened. And I have the receipts to PROVE it!

~ Murray Lincoln ~
http://www.murraylincoln.com/

No comments: