Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Living in and with Conflict

I am disturbed by the message of the movie. The power of its story is overwhelming – strong cultural attitudes that never seem to change. Murder and mayhem mixed with intrigue produces a powerful story. And the story is as old as the countries of the Middle East. It was written in 1946 and put into a movie in 1864.

It is “Zorba the Greek” in all its Black and White glory on TV. WOW what a story!

As I have been sifting through the emotions of the story and how I feel about it I am stirred deeply inside. The culture has affected me again. In fact that is what the story is all about from what I could determine – the power of a culture on all that live in and on the ones that come into it.

The taking of a life just outside a church – during a church service – right under the noses of the Greek Orthodox Priest’s eyes is every disturbing.

When the Foreign Lady dies – in fact just as she is dieing the local Greek ladies sweep in to grab as much of her things as they can. Within minutes of her death the entire house is stripped of all its conflict. The only thing left is her dead body in her bed in a completely empty room! Yikes – talk about brutality!

I am pressed with the cultural impact of life around me as well. Culture is more powerful than family. It is more powerful than anything demanding that everyone submit to its regulations.

Recently I listened to another Pastor tell of his church and the sub culture that he was encountering. The people inside of the church were fighting over some silly thing. One sub group had taken a issue and made sure that everyone knew of their displeasure. Others had reacted to the first group’s stance and protested strongly. Inside the church there was a Royal Rumble going on.

The church wonders why it doesn’t grow. Who would want to join into the foray of that group? You would be fighting before you started to worship.

One of things that I have noticed on my “non-church” weekends - - weekends that I have not been able to get to church – people in the malls are not fighting… or angry with anyone. For the most part they enjoy what they do at the Mall.

The story line behind Zorba the Greek is pretty much like some congregations… trapped in a zealous and tightly knit community they have their own ways of dealing with stuff they don’t like. Churches do the same.

Yesterday the TV report stated that churches across North America were down in attendance. Almost every one of the churches have dropped.

Some Evangelical churches are still growing somewhat – but many have plateau-ed in the last few years. But they have not dropped like the main line churches have.

We know that new program, dazzling presentations with leaders that jump into the limelight often… grow churches. But once the dazzle is gone – the leadership becomes tired and slows… the attendance drops as well.

Now add to that internal conflict and “Kerpow” – stuff happens.

I have listened to a widow lately that described her horrible years of living with her violent husband. Spousal abuse ran their home. She spoke freely of the fact that she is glad he is dead. It was harsh to hear a widow speak that bluntly. But you see… no one knew that they were in trouble all those years.

My pastor friend has taken to the first step to finding help – he told some one about what he has been going through. Being able to talk to some one is vital to survival.

When you are in conflict you tend to begin thinking that it is your entire fault. You are the one that others will blame… even though they may be totally in the wrong.

How can I write about such things? It is likely disturbing to some to have a minister tell the truth of how people really act. I mean we shouldn’t air dirty laundry to the world – should we?

My friend Wilma passed this poem my way. She had no idea of some of the things that I have witnessed in the last few months (and even years). It fits so well here. I hope you enjoy it.

~ Murray Lincoln ~
http://www.murraylincoln.com/

See..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zorba_the_Greek

(Poem arrived via email)

I was shocked, confused, bewildered
As I entered Heaven's door,
Not by the beauty of it all,
Nor the lights or its decor.

But it was the folks in Heaven
Who made me sputter and gasp--
The thieves, the liars, the sinners,
The alcoholics and the trash.

There stood the kid from seventh grade
Who swiped my lunch money! twice.
Next to him was my old neighbor
Who never said anything nice.

Herb, who I always thought!
Was rotting away in hell,
Was sitting pretty on cloud nine,
Looking incredibly well.

I nudged Jesus, 'What's the deal?
I would love to hear Your take.
How'd all these sinners get up here?
God must've made a mistake.!

And why's everyone so quiet,
So somber - give me a clue.
‘Hush, child,' He said, 'they're all in shock.
No one thought they'd be seeing you.’

JUDGE NOT !

Remember....Just going to church
doesn't make you a Christian
any more than standing in
your garage makes you a car .
Every saint has a PAST...
Every sinner has a FUTURE!

No comments: