Saturday, March 7, 2009

Another Jonah Miracle

I have written about my young friend Jonah before. I was there right after he came into this world and his family with a BANG. Then I have followed his progress for 4 years – holding my breath and praying many times for just one more miracle. Jonah was not going to live. He did. Jonah was never going to walk. He does. Jonah was never going to be able to talk. He has started to and will never stop. Jonah was never likely to go to school like other kids – sorry he does now and will continue.

Jonah always surprises me – always. And if I could really see what God sees – I would see the great potential that one young man has… God knows what that potential is in everyway – and He has let me be close enough to the parade of Jonah’s World to witness what he is doing.

Recently Jonah has had a turn for the “not so good”. A problem has appeared with his breathing when he gets very excited… and Jonah gets excited often – HE LOVES LIFE! He tends to turn blue with a shortage of oxygen… here is an account that will stir your heart as it does mine.

You see Jonah and I have plans for this summer. He loves Kites and I do too… and we intend to chase the wind together. We were planning this until this new twist took place and more surgery was needed. And… well… with Jonah… God always has some special things planned. Read on….

From my friend Diane… March 5, 2009
Hi all. This letter is from Jonah Van Spronsen's grandmother, Kim Pogue, a close friend of mine. It explains all about Jonah's problem. We need to pray for George and Jessika as well. I would be a wreck as would most of you I think.. Diane

In reply from Kim…March 5, 2009
On Monday Mar. 9th he is to be admitted to Sick Kids, he will be observed, tested, poked and have an MRI. His right aortic arc is constricting his ability to breath, it is cutting off his oxygen, he turns blue daily, has terrible episodes where he cannot catch his breath. It is terrible! So he will be having open heart surgery where they will be removing the aortic arc around his trachea & esophagus. He will be on the by-pass machine, surgery anywhere from 7-9 hours if all goes well. I know you will pray for him and could you please ask all that you know to do the same? God bless him he is only 4 years old! This is a big surgery!

God will be there guiding the hands of all the ,( I think there is 4 or 5 )surgeons, nurses, anesthesiologist, prep persons that ALL items are thoroughly cleaned, that he receives good, clean healthy blood should he require it, that no infection develops, that he recovers well, and that he makes it through the surgery. That the surgeons do not nick any areas that should not be cut. I am a mess! He is my beautiful grandson and I love him so much!
Thanks for you prayers in advance!
KIM

From Jessika – Jonah’s mom…
Today at 8:26pm – March 6, 2009
Hello All, All of you know what is going on with Jonah, so there is no need for me to explain it.

What you don't know is that something transpired today that blew us all away. Jonah needed to go on oxygen, he needs 23% at 3 litres per minute, for 15 minutes when needed. So when Jonah goes blue (cyanotic), he receives oxygen to "pink" him back up.

Well, we received the oxygen yesterday afternoon (THURSDAY MARCH 5TH), and never had to use it at all then. This morning, while I was making breakfast for Samsun at 9:12 am, Jonah went blue, and had trouble breathing again. So, I put the oxygen on him.

He sat there for 15 minutes, letting the oxygen take hold of his body.

Approximately 3 minutes after I removed the oxygen, he looked up at me and asked for his coat, shoes and hat. He wanted to go outside for a walk!!!

Jonah has been lethargic, not wanting to be moved, not wanting to play, and just absolutely refusing to do anything but sit in his lazy boy chair. It's been painful to see. BUT---all of a sudden---HE WANT'S TO GO FOR A WALK!!

So, I got him and Samsun dressed, and out the door we went. He wouldn't come back to the house for 40 minutes. He would stamp his foot, and tell me more if I tried to turn around. HE WAS WALKING, NOT IN A STROLLER. When I finally convinced him to come home, because I didn't want him to overdo it, he came into the house, and started running around, doing somersaults, and just being JONAH!!

I had my son back!!! He was sliding down the stairs, jumping around the house, signing songs (yes signing, not singing--)
He was all around just my son from before all of this started. SO....I called Sick Kids to report on what had happened. The nurse practitioner stated that she couldn't believe it, and was amazed at how a little oxygen made such a HUGE difference in Jonah's demeanor. I told her that we couldn't believe it either (I actually had to call my mother to come and witness what I was seeing, I thought I was imagining things). So told me that she would get back to me shortly, but to journal Jonah's progress.

At 4:00 today she called back to let us know that Jonah is no longer in need of heart surgery. After talking to his cardiologist, they both agree, that Jonah doesn't need it!!!!

A heart issue is not cleared up by a bit of oxygen, it is cleared up with surgery. So she did some investigation on his history, and they now believe they have made a mistake. They think that because Jonah had pneumonia in December, his lungs got a little scarred. Top this off with a HUGE growth spurt, and you have a recipe for disaster. Jonah's lungs needed that extra little push of oxygen to overcome the damage in his lungs, and gave him a new lease on the day!!

We are so happy!! They are still going to take him in for a CT scan, and an echo-cardiogram. But at least now, it can be carefully planned out and not emergency. They are doing this to be absolutely 100% sure that he doesn't need surgery, but as far as it stands, he is doing well on his own at home. He will require oxygen off and on for the next 2 weeks, to help his lungs heal, but by then he will be ready for the spring weather.....AND TO FLY SOME KITES PASTOR MURRAY!!

THIS IS THE RESULT OF CONSTANT AND DILIGENT PRAYER!

THANK YOU
THANK YOU
THANK YOU
THANK YOU
THANK YOU.
PRAYER DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE IF YOU BELIEVE IT WILL. WE ARE SO HAPPY TO SHARE WITH YOU THE NEWS THAT JONAH IS OK!!

Right now, he is having a second dose of oxygen, as he got a little blue in the face, but that is only his second episode...down from 14-15!! Praise God!

Love: The Van Spronsen Family!!!

THANK YOU
THANK YOU
THANK YOU
THANK YOU
THANK YOU!!

~ Murray Lincoln ~
http://www.murraylincoln.com/

Jonah…Hey buddy… the Kites are going to fly with the wind in later April and May and June and July and August… YOU better believe it!

Take a look… at Jonah walking in January 2009
http://www.youtube.com/ll?v=0eFrKtXg3Rk
This is a Photo of Jonah's favorite kites - Butterflies... he and I are looking up but the camera couldn't catch us....but this summer....have I got a surprize for him...

No comments: