Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Disclaimer Needed

The Web Page words shouted to me from the computer screen – “In the next 30 seconds I’ll show you how I made $143,715 last month with this automated system. My name is Jay….”

On the screen photo “Jay” is standing near a small, sleek, gray coloured sports car – likely a Cadillac or something expensive.

Further down the page it says that “Ann” made $100,000 in six months. And “Brian” made $25,000 in one month. “Vishal” in his best month made $48,616.25. Holy Cow! How could anyone resist!?

At the end of each statement there is a new wrinkle added – a “income disclaimer” to let you know that some customers make no money at all. And below that is the “Legal Income Disclaimer” – which when clicked on yields the following wording…

EARNINGS & INCOME DISCLAIMERS
ANY EARNINGS OR INCOME STATEMENTS, OR EARNINGS OR INCOME EXAMPLES, ARE ONLY ESTIMATES OF WHAT WE THINK YOU COULD EARN. THERE IS NO ASSURANCE YOU'LL DO AS WELL. IF YOU RELY UPON OUR FIGURES, YOU MUST ACCEPT THE RISK OF NOT DOING AS WELL.

WHERE SPECIFIC INCOME FIGURES ARE USED, AND ATTRIBUTED TO AN INDIVIDUAL OR BUSINESS, THOSE PERSONS OR BUSINESSES HAVE EARNED THAT AMOUNT. THERE IS NO ASSURANCE YOU'LL DO AS WELL. IF YOU RELY UPON OUR FIGURES; YOU MUST ACCEPT THE RISK OF NOT DOING AS WELL.

I have read this kind of promising Web Site before – and because I opened this one they have now got “my numbers” and I will get more. Duh!

In the hard economic times that many are going through we see more and more offers of great things. I have had more and more calls from well knowing people that have got themselves caught into the scams that come from this kind of thing.

Closer to Home than you think…
There is another scam that is condoned by our own Canadian Government. It is called Canada Post. Everyday we anxiously wait for their fine services.

However – everyone should be aware of the Disclaimer that should be given with these folks.

Did you know that their “company” – Canada Post is ridiculously expensive? Did you know that it is even more dangerous than that?

Yesterday I lined up to pick up a parcel. Someone had sent me something – likely a Christmas present. I was excited. The note told me that I could pick up the parcel after 1:00 PM. (Alida was home all day – yet no one came to knock on our door – only the door hanger had been there).

At the Post Office - in front of me there was an agitated lady about my age. She was posting a small package – about 6 inches by 6 inches by 3. It weighed next to nothing. The young girl behind the counter announced that it would cost $35 to send this small item. The lady sputtered – “But I want the cheapest rate… the slowest way to get it there… it is not worth that much!”

The young girl demurely answered, “That is the cheapest rate. The other rates are $45 and $60.”

The customer looked over her shoulder at six of us waiting impatiently for her to get her business done…. Just a little pressure to say the least. She had waited for 5 minutes for her turn to be served – now others were waiting on her.

“$35 is ridiculous!” was her last words as she handed her debit card to the young postal clerk. As she punched the Debit Machine’s buttons her hands shook.

I felt for her – she had been robbed. She moved out of the way shaking her head. Now it was my turn to retrieve the Christmas Gift.

“We need some ID for this parcel please?” the girl asked me. I showed her my license. Then she stated the painful words – “There is postage due on this parcel that must be paid before I can give it to you… and it is $8.91”

What kind of a person would send me a parcel that would cost me $8.91? Some one forgetful I was convinced at that point.

HOLY COW! That was my parcel that I had mailed to “my customer” on December 16 to get it delivered in time for her Christmas! I had paid $8.49 to send it in the bubble pack. It was a small carving that she had wanted for her son.

Now to get my own parcel back from Canada Post I needed to pay more money than the original money to send it out. The tag on the package stated flatly – “Moved”. The dear lady had moved from the address that she had given me… and the parcel came back.

My parcel was smaller than the last lady’s parcel.

My hands shook as I passed my Debit Card over to the Postal Clerk. I tried to make a statement of protest, but as I looked over my shoulder at the 8 waiting customers… that had waited on the last lady and waited on me to get done and out of the way… there was no mercy on their face.

I was legally robbed by my own Government and this corporation of Canada Post.

THERE IS A DISCLAIMER NEEDED HERE.
“What you mail with us may cost you double. When you send it with us – it may not get there! We will get you one way or another. Just keep your hands up and hold steady while we take the money from your wallet, your credit cards, your debit cards and your children or grandkids if you have them with you. We are robbing you now and it is legal. Please cooperate and you will not get hurt. If you do the Impatient People waiting behind you will not hate you. Don’t worry about them – we will be robbing them in just a moment – rest assured they are next. We are Canada Post!”

As I started this Small Business of Wood Carving I had been impressed by Canada Posts willingness to work with and “…make your small business grow with Canada Post… we work with you!”

Am I ever glad that I hadn’t sent anymore with Canada Post. And It will be a long time before I line up to get stung again.

The item that I had mailed was worth just a tad over what the double mailing had now cost me – and it wasn’t delivered yet.

As to the Internet Company and its promises of making big money… Well they have nothing on Canada Post.

In less than 5 minutes at that postal outlet, Canada Post was making $516 per hour at that one counter. Or to look at it another way - $6,192 dollars in a 12 hour period. Multiply that by the fact that this outlet is open 7 days a week – that is $43,344 per week… and $185,760 per month.

Multiply that by the number of Canada Post outlets across our fine country – and this is the biggest scam going!

Ya Ya I know… I am exaggerating here to make a point. But so is the wicked advertisements that promise all the baloney that they do.

Yes I tried to contact Canada Post through the Web Site. But I think that they offer another program that cost a little more that will guarantee that your mailed item will not cost you anything when it is returned to you.

Now if I have that straight – they are telling me that they will assure me not to rob me if I pay more….

On the Street and in Prison that is called “extortion”. It is also called “protection”. But in Canada it is called “Big Postal Business”.

The next package I will deliver personally….even if it takes three hours to do so.

Sheesh…! Holy Cow…! Holy Mackerel…! and Wormy Squid! I hate being taken.

~ Murray Lincoln ~

No comments: