Thursday, January 1, 2009

Back From The Dead

Happy New Year – may 2009 be one of your best ever!

Yesterday we received a shock of a lifetime. We received a call from a dead man! Let me explain.

A few weeks before Christmas my friend Jason was taken to the hospital and admitted to the ICU. His lungs were infected and the fluid in them had built up to the point that he could hardly breath. The ambulance attendants were necessary for him to even get out of the house. In the ICU they drained at least 3 liters of fluid from his lung.

The infection that had caused the original problem galloped through his body… until his whole being was shutting down. The doctor looked at Jason’s mom and told her straight out, “You son is a very sick man. I cannot lie to you. This is very serious.”

Jason’s hands, arms and feet were swelling rapidly – indicating that perhaps the heart and the kidneys were failing. That was happening in the week before Christmas. It appeared that the funeral would be close to New Year’s day… today.

Yesterday it was Jason on the line calling to let us know that all the tubes were out now and that he was starving. He had just finished a ham sandwich that tasted so good! He was his old chipper self again.

Can you believe it? Jason as a severe diabetic has again pulled through. He is totally blind, sits in a wheel chair and must be helped by others – yet he still lives on his own.

As we talked he stated that he can’t wait to get back into everything. He has a brand new zeal fro life.

Later yesterday we stood beside his bed and prayed one more time. This time we prayed a prayer of Thanksgiving for Jason’s new turn in life. Last time I had asked God to touch Jason one more time – and if this was the time for Jason to go… “God take him in your mercy.”

Jason cried as we prayed together.

I have thought a lot about Jason last night and today. What if I was in his position? What if I was that sick and had that many disabilities – how would I cope? Would I be happy to be alive? What is left for Jason to live for – he cannot see, he cannot go anywhere by himself, he is bound to remain in that wheel chair forever… what God – WHAT?

“Pastor Murray I can’t wait to hook up the internet to my computer! I have stopped smoking now and am going to save a lot of money. My computer is waiting for me!” Jason was so excited.

Being at a comatose level for nearly three weeks has not stopped the spirit in this 29 year old. He is waiting to hold his new nephew again soon. He wants back to his apartment in Lindsay and is looking forward to his brand new apartment in Peterborough – that will be ready sometime soon.

Each time Jason shares his excitement about his simple life… his meeting new people… his sharing his dreams and his goals to go back to school with his computer assistance… I am stunned. Jason is here on earth to share his life one more time with whoever will be open to him.

I needed his story as I begin this year. 2009 will be a brand new one for me as I step into the waiting opportunities. Instead of being remorse and holding me back… I have opportunities at least for this week… maybe this new month… and even another year – God willing.

I have been thinking about the new people that I will be introduced to over these weeks to come. WOW!

I hope that you are inspired and find something new to help you this week. I hope that you are encouraged by what God has provided around you. You are blessed!

Now if you are prone to letting your thoughts get a bit blue and down… please think of one word… or at least one name… it will put things in a better focus. The name… is “Jason”. He is pretty cool! And his looking forward to meeting you – if you have time.

~ Murray Lincoln ~

No comments: