Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Treasure Tree

Christmas has arrived at our home – the “Treasure Tree” is up. For everyone else it appears to be a traditional Christmas Tree. But for us… it is our Treasure Tree. On almost every branch there are decorations with great meaning. Some were collected at special times in our lives – others were made by special people in our family. All told – they are worth more than anyone could ever calculate.

The Treasures come from all over the world and span a time frame of more than 60 years. For the most part we started about 41 years ago, just after my wife and I were married. Then every year more pieces were added.

Why would anyone take so much time to put it up each year for one month only? Why spend hours placing carefully each Treasure in just the right place? For my wife it is almost a week’s worth of puttering and placing the handcrafted jewels in the spot they need to be.

For myself the important part is the “creating” that is such a blessing. Placing something of yourself into your family’s life and Christmas is what it is all about. Putting every bit of love into the Treasure is what I desire most. The Treasure Tree allows me a special place to say how much I love this family of mine.

For us over the years Christmas is just that… a collection of Treasures and Memories that are stored for us to enjoy shouting our love for each other.
I love Tatting. I love it as a Craft to be done and also to be collected. It dates back a long time in history. Perhaps some of the sailors on long voyages were the first to Tat some records show. These sailors also carved shuttles for their sweethearts back home. Shuttles were made of Bone and Ivory fetched from whales that were harvested from the Ocean.

Tatting in my family has been a part of our lives for a long time – dating back to my Great Grandfather and perhaps many years before that. My Grandma Lincoln tatted to fill her time and also to make gifts for her family. I do the same for my family.

The saddest part in most family is that there is no Treasure anymore. Most everyone rushes into this season and stumbles out of it. Sad very sad.

I am asking you with this post – where are your treasures in this Christmas Season? If you have the opportunity how could you make a memory for the family? Could you actually make something?

Sorry this is short today… (maybe that is better for some..) but I have to shovel again in a few moments… Tatted Snowflakes are lighter and easier than the real stuff.

~ Murray Lincoln ~
This Tatted Dream Catcher - or Sun Catcher will hang in our window



Close up of my Bells

Small boxes decorated with Tatting

No comments: